Sunday, June 15, 2014

Laney Knowlton, MS


As of Friday, June 13, I have officially finished my Master's degree in Marriage and Family Therapy. I have completed four and a half years of classes and 12 months of internships. I ended up with an official total of 987 hours over the last 4 quarters of my internships (and practicum, which is the first quarter of internship). I don't have all my grades in for the last quarter of my internship, but currently have a 98% in my class and am only waiting for one more grade, so it's pretty safe to say that I graduated with a 4.0 GPA. I wrapped up my internship experience while in a client session with the first couple I ever officially worked with, which I thought was very appropriate. 

This has been one of the hardest things I have ever done, but it has also been one of the most rewarding. I have learned so much about myself through this experience and I am so much closer to what I want to be. The sacrifices and effort were absolutely worth it.

I am now waiting for my final transcript to be ready and to get my score back from my mft exam. If I passed the exam, I should be a LMFTA (Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist Associate) around the end of July. I have to do 3000 hours of work under a supervisor, then I can apply to be a LMFT. I'm continuing to work with Mark, who has offered me a position as an independent contractor. I'll be able to work as many or as few hours as I want to (although I've learned that is controlled by my clients to a large extent). In exchange for a percentage of what I charge my clients, he's letting me use an office and providing supervision. I'm going to continue working with the LifeSTAR groups that I've been working with as well. Private practice is the holy grail of MFTs and usually is really hard to get into. I feel so incredibly blessed that I have pretty much been handed this opportunity on a silver platter. I love the LifeSTAR program and Mark is one of the most amazing therapists I've ever met and I am so lucky to get to continue to work with him.

If I could handpick the perfect life for me right now it would be being married to Rob, with our six amazing kids making every day fun and rewarding, while getting to work at a job I love where I can make a difference with a supervisor that is on my list of my favorite people ever (Mark). As my heart issue is part of our life, my perfect life would also include someone that would love my children and would do the things I wish I could do with them. I am so blessed.

Thank you to each of you who have helped me get here. Especially thank you to Rob, who has been an unwavering support through the last five and half years. I could not have made it if it wasn't for you. I love you!

No comments: